Libraries and organizations that provide services for individuals with qualifying visual or physical disabilities can apply for institutional talking book accounts. Institutional accounts are for demonstration purposes so that you have a digital player and audio books on hand to show the service to your clients and patrons. Institutional accounts can also register for a BARD account to demonstrate the downloading process. Institutional accounts are a great (free!) way to add accessible resources to your program, and our partners throughout Illinois provide an invaluable service by connecting their communities with our program.
Examples of organizations with institutional accounts include:
School Libraries (materials must be returned at the end of the school year)
Centers for Independent Living
Schools for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
To apply for an institutional account for your organization, complete the Application for Institutions 2016.pdf or call 1-800-426-0709 for assistance.
Organizations with institutional accounts receive:
- A digital talking book player
- Digital talking books on cartridge
- Access to BARD for downloading books
- Access to the talking book catalog
- Talking Book Topics bi-monthly catalog
- TBBS Newsletters
- Posters, brochures, and display items (available upon request)
Organizations with institutional accounts can help the talking book program by:
- Connecting eligible patrons with our service
- Demonstrating the equipment and service to potential patrons
- Certifying applications for patrons
- Assisting patrons with ordering books and downloading from BARD
Please note that materials distributed for institutional accounts are not intended for personal use by individuals; if an individual is interested in using talking books please help them sign up for their own personalized account!
Follow the links below to access applications, handouts, and other resources that can be used to inform your staff, clients, and patrons about talking book services.
Information on equipment, materilas, book lists, BARD, Axis 360, reading programs, etc. can be found under Patron Services.